A small win!
Imagine my delight when I found out I was nominated for a Liebster award! Something I never imagined, since I started my blog less than a month ago.
So what is the Liebster Award?
“The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.” (The Global Aussie)
The award is a way to be discovered but also to connect with the blogging community. It feels great to be recognized by others in the blogging community.
Who nominated me?
I have been nominated by Justine of The Iridescent Wings, an avid traveler who has been to 10 states and 16 countries. She has a beautiful blog with excellent reviews and travel stories.
I was really surprised and happy when she nominated me and said that I have a wonderful blog. Thank you Justine, and now to answer your questions…
1. Describe your blog in 3 words using nouns (a person, a place and a thing)
Ketki’s quill on earth? Nah? Sorry, that’s the best I can do!
2. Where did you go the first time you traveled and how old were you?
Gee, I was less than a year old when my parents took me to Madhya Pradesh, India. We saw some beautiful temples and stayed among the hills though I hardly remember any of that. The first one I remember was when I was 3 and we traveled to Mahabaleshwar, India. I ate a lot of fresh strawberries from the farms, rode a horse and went on a boat ride. The horse was the best part.
3. What’s your destination preference? City or Beach?
I’m a beach girl. I love splashing in the water, building sand castles, and finding seashells. The ice-cream, ice candies and snow cones are an added bonus.
4. What’s the most exotic thing you’ve ever eaten?
When I traveled to Qatar I ate camel kebabs, though I didn’t care for them. I also ate grilled pigeon in Qatar which was really delicious (even my toddler loved it) and fried alligator nuggets in New Orleans. And oh, a dolphin sandwich in Florida!
5. Where’s your favorite destination and why?
That’s a tough one! I have so many favorites and many potential favorites on my to-travel list. If I had to pick one it would be Jordan because it offers and abundance of amazing experiences. There is Petra, among the 7 wonders of the world. Then there is the beautiful and desolate Wadi Rum, and majestic Roman ruins at Jerash. There is also the bucket list opportunity to float in the Dead Sea.
6. Are you living in your dream city? If not where would you like to live and why aren’t you living there?
Chicago all the way. I love the Windy City. I did live in downtown Chicago for more than 2 years but I really hate the winters there, so nope. I also want to live in Manhattan in summer.
7. When you are hanging out with someone are you the person who puts away their phone or leaves it out and texts?
Unfortunately, I text. And take lots of pictures. I need to improve on that.
8. When’s the last time you shot film photography?
2004, in high school.
9. Currently, what’s your most popular article and why do you think it’s so popular?
My article on spending a perfect day in Chicago. I think the fact that I really love Chicago and miss it a lot comes through and gives a personal touch to the article. Also the post has many photos and Chicago is a beautiful city.
10. Favorite place to eat fries?
This one’s easy. I love, love, love the fries at any Dairy Queen outlets. They are chunky, crispy and so good. Georgia Mud Fudge blizzard and medium fries is my standard order at Dairy Queen. I also like Arby’s curly fries and In-N-Out Animal style fries in California.
Additional Nomination Requirements
My favorite Blogger
At one time I wanted to be an architect. Today I pin beautiful houses and rooms, visit architectural beauties and follow DIY blogs. I followed Young House Love a lot when they were active and still check their site for occasional home updates. Also I think The Bloggess is hilarious. So much sass.
10 Random Facts About Me
♦ I love changing my hair; I have grown it to my waist and cut it into a pixie. I often cut my own hair and color it. It’s been black, various shades of brown, blue-black, red-brown. Currently its strawberry blonde.
♦ I’m an avid reader. I dream of building a giant library with a rolling step ladder and a cozy couch. Till then a library wall with roll top desk will suffice. I’m halfway there.
♦ I’ve lived in Pune, Mumbai, Mysore in India and in Chicago, Bay Area, Houston, Arkansas, Delaware in the US.
♦ One of my dreams is to write a best-seller. I’m irregularly working on two different books.
♦ I am a food connoisseur and dark chocolate is my favorite food group. It is a real food group, no arguments.
♦I love footwear and have upwards of 50 pairs of ballet flats, sandals, flipflops, pumps, wedges, boots, sneakers and more. I even have 2 pairs of knee high gladiator sandals. Fortunately I live in a Texas-sized home.
♦ My favorite wine is Gewurztraminer.
♦ I have two left feet and avoid dancing like the plague.
♦ My life philosophy is ‘Live and let live’. So yeah, you could call me liberal, except I don’t care much about labels.
♦ I think I’m borderline OCD. Groceries on my shelf HAVE to be label-facing-forward and my clothes are color-coordinated and sorted by obscure criteria like sleeve lengths and casualness.
There, that was fun. And not so random.
I’m still deciding my nominations. If you are looking to be nominated, drop a link below in comments and I can take a look at your blog.
1. What is the story behind your blog’s name?
2. Describe the one trip that changed you.
3. Most exotic animal you saw while traveling? (outside of zoos)
4. Most exotic thing you’ve ever eaten?
5. Most remote place you ever visited?
6. DSLR or smartphone? Why?
7. Where are you heading to next?
8. Travel apocalypse is here. You must live in just one country and never travel again. Where would it be and why?
9. What are your blogging goals for 2017?
10. What do you enjoy more, traveling or writing? Why?
11. What is your favorite travel quote? Write your own travel quote to inspire your readers. Which one do you like better?
Thank you once again Justine for nominating me!